Friday, January 19, 2007

Open Book

Saw a friend of mine yesterday for the first time in 2 years or so. It was really good to see them and catch up. Took the dog for a walk and chewed the fat with My Chester Friend, while her husband was in a business meeting. Have to admit it was a thoroughly pleasant afternoon and we've promised to make sure it's not another 2 years before we see each other again. If you're a regular reader of her blog you would have seen me there earlier today, in truth I'm no oil painting but the shots she took of me and my dog did me no favours, as she put it 'You looked a complete minger in them'. So I had her crop me out of them, thankfully. I truly hate having my picture taken and I've yet to see a photograph of me that doesn't make me look a fright. Maybe I am just an ugly bloke.

Sorted lots of stuff out on the phone today and some short phone calls to my creditors and a such has taken a great weight off my shoulders. So along with a new job, my situation is starting to look a little brighter. Funny though I can't seem to shake off this funk I woke up in this morning. But I'm definitely looking forward to having a pint tonight.

The gym work is starting to help have lost 7lbs in the last 2 weeks, so ahead of schedule on the 2lbs per week weight loss for the next 3 months or so. I get a real buzz out of going and watching my body slowly get fitter and thinner. The increased fitness levels are a real boost as well, I'm already sleeping better.

During our conversation yesterday My Chester Friend and I were discussing writing and her attempts to write her novel. She's starting work soon and will have time as a receptionist to finish her first draft. This came as a bit of a surprise, as she'd never mentioned that she'd written the first half of it to me before. Turn out there is a website called National Book Writing Month where would be authors sign up to complete 50,000 words in 30 days. Now this sounded a bit daunting to me, until she explained that you're challenged to write 1600 odd words per day every day. Doing that ensures you'll reach your 50,000 words target. The rules are simple, just write. Don't worry about punctuation, re-writes or editing. Once you've finished the 50,000 words or so then go back and read through and edit and re-write as much as you want. I like the idea, so I'm gonna give it a try. If you fancy joining me then give me a shout and we'll give it a go together. My Chester Friend has set me the challenge to get to the 50,000 words before she does, but she's already 25,000 words ahead. I've got a very rough idea, so I'm just gonna write and see what happens.

That was one of the reasons I started this blog, and it helped raise my spirits, was to improve my writing skills. Not sure if it has but I'm gonna try it as an experiment. Who knows I might be a published author in the near future.

'Yeah, and monkeys'll fly out my butt!!'


laters

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

The "minger" thing was said in jest you know! I forgot to say that when I wrote those 25,000 words I had challenged another friend to write a song, (he is a musician, obviously) and another friend said they would write a poem. Neither of them came up with the goods, so i hope you are a better challenger for me. When are we starting?

10:08 PM  
Blogger Sassy said...

You mean I missed the pics? cuz all I saw was some leg and it wasn't even nekkid leg!

Enjoy the pint...I will!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Chicky Pea said...

That isn't the reason you told ME you started your blog.

7:05 PM  
Blogger LadyHAHA said...

oooh...I think I might try that writing thing out, like I don't have enough on my plate. I could just add it to the long list of crap I started but never finished.....

COngratulations on being ahead of your weight loss! Keep it up yo!

12:29 AM  
Blogger mist1 said...

Doesn't everyone hate pictures of themselves?

1:18 AM  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

How can you score if you haven't got a goal?

I'd join you but I have so many projcts on I would doubtless let you down.

Puss

12:59 PM  
Blogger Miss Sassy said...

You want to write??
How did this not come out before?
and published - like you want to accomplish something with it besides the 'blab n feel better' effect?
woweezie, we need to talk more =)

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home