Friday, October 27, 2006

Probably another lame list

Now I have to admit that the last list of cool things was in fact lame - no don't disagree, I know, its a case of making up for it. Now I believe every person should read as many books as they can. There are 2 reasons for this -
1) it improves your thought processes by opening you up to new ideas and ways of thinking, and
2) it keeps people quiet and out of my way.
Now I've seen this on one or two blogs that I've enjoyed, so I thought I'd give it a go. Might be equally lame to me in a few days but right now I'm in the mood for something like this. Here goes....

1. One book that's changed your life. There are to many to list and I certainly couldn't choose just one so here are the highlights. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, The Hobbitt by JRR Tolkien (thanks Mum), Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

2. One book that you have read more than once. MASH by Richard Hooker, I've read this book a dozen times and it still my favorite. It just genius.

3. One book that you would want on a deserted island. Dummies Guide to Survival or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

4. One book that made you cry. Haven't found one yet

5. One book that made you laugh. Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic, if only for the big bang theory or Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh.

6. One book you wish had been written. How to rid the world of morons.

7. One book you wish had never been written. The Bible and the Koran, or alternatively both should have a disclaimer on their opening page - all characters are purely ficticious, any resemblancee to actual events or individuals is purely coincidental.

8. One book you are currently reading. America by Alistair Cooke, grew up listening to this man's radio broadcasts. The closest thing to perfection was waking up late on Sunday mornings, having a cup of tea listening to his cultured tones. If his book on the history of the US comes anywhere near to that it'll be a very good book indeed.

9. One book you've been meaning to read. Hideyoshi - a historical biography of one of Japan's greatest warlords. Its been sitting on my shelf for far too long. When I finish that I'll start Alexander of Macedon.

10. One book you're glad to own. MASH, its the one I'd grab if the house was on fire.

11. One book from which you must read aloud. The Poems of Spike Milligan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home